Sunday, March 1, 2009

Life is Great Because of.....

My butter crock! I got my butter crock almost a year ago. My mom, M'Lisa, and I were staying at Debbie and Kevin's house when she whipped out this handy little thing. Needless to say, before we left Utah we all bought one! So in case you don't know about these (I had never seen them before our Utah trip) I will tell you. Butter left open on the counter top quickly goes rancid, and when refrigerated it tears holes in your bread. Happily, there's a third way — the butter crock. What butter requires to stay fresh isn't cold temperature, but protection from the oxygen in air. Butter crocks keep your butter soft and fresh, right on the counter, for up to a month! Just put about an inch of cool water in the base, pack the bell with butter, and invert it in the base. The water seals out air, keeping your butter soft, sweet & fresh for up to 30 days. The only maintenance required is to change the water every third day.
So, if you come to my house and I serve hot rolls, (ha ha ha) you're going to think this little tool is just about the coolest thing ever invented. Who doesn't LOVE real butter that is soft the instant you need it? And, what made me post about this? A conversation I had with Mark the other morning over pancakes. He asked me how much the crock cost. ($5.00). He then asked me why everyone doesn't use them, because, "That fake butter is so nasty. It ruins everything it touches. Sure it's always soft, but don't people care about taste? And this thing keeps butter soft. Besides, that fake butter is bad for the Dairy industry." So now you have it. If you don't go out and buy one of these crocks, you're ruining the Dairy industry one tub of fake butter at a time. Hope you can sleep at night!

3 comments:

Denning's said...

Amen to the butter crock! I love it too. Except sometimes I forget to change the water because Lance and I hardly use butter, but thanks for writing about this because I think more people need to know about it!

Andersen said...

i agree we all got one in my family for Christmas. i love it and use it almost every single day.

April said...

I want one! Where can I get one or two of these handy little things! I so want to join the fight against fake tubs of butter!